Saturday, May 1, 2010

Stewardship


I spoke to some kindergarten students from St. Malachy on Monday during their field trip to a local farm. We played a game I found on the National Wildlife Federation website using a ball of yarn to illustrate how everything in Nature is connected, including humans.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself we find that it is bound fast by a thousand invisible cords that cannot be broken, to everything in the universe. " -John Muir
I had fun making the game with Punky. I wanted to use plants and animals the kids might see in their own backyards. We found most of the pictures in magazines we already had at home. (That's reusing, one of the three R's.) I took some pictures in my own backyard and thought they turned out nicely. (I'll post them if I can find my camera cable.)
Friday, Punky came with me to McCloud Nature Park to plant 15 oak trees (red, swamp white, bur, and Shumard) near the new bridge to replace some of what were cut down to install the bridge . Six Master Gardeners volunteered to help with the planting and ended up doing most of the work. I was occupied with talking to first grade students from Eagle Elementary about what we were doing and answering their questions. We also had red oak saplings to hand out to visitors to the park. Any that were left are going to be planted at the park. Punky and I took one home.
After McCloud, we hurried to Hickory Elementary to help with another tree planting. The students were basically finished when we got there, and were just mulching the trees. I took a few photos of the event, then we headed home. Not a bad way to spend Arbor Day.
Punky and I planted our little red oak in the backyard. I peeked through the fence at my neighbors' yard. It is so different from mine. There are no trees, just one small Chinese lilac in a see of mono-culture grass. I planted a red maple soon after we moved to our house nine years ago. I now have 19 trees counting the new red oak, soon to be 21 after I plant a couple of seedlings another neighbor gave me. She said she didn't have room for them. We have less than 1/8 acre, but I'll find room for two more.
We get lots of birds and other wildlife which I know is due to the diversity of plants growing in our yard. Trees make great habitat and are a relatively simple conservation habit that most people can do in their backyards. Besides providing wildlife habitat, when planted in the right place, trees can shade our houses, block winter wind, reduce flooding, and prevent soil erosion. I also think they are beautiful.


No comments: